Supporting movement building opportunities at the local, state and national level to raise the profile of salon workplace health, safety and rights, to connect and leverage the resources of diverse groups, to advocate for safer products, and to secure policy changes and greater regulatory protection of salon workers in California and nationally.
National Healthy Nail and Beauty Salon Alliance
Founded in 2007, the National Healthy Nail and Beauty Salon Alliance (Alliance) works to increase the health, safety, and rights of salon workers by reducing toxic chemical exposure through strategic movement building, policy advocacy, industry advocacy and media efforts nationwide. The Collaborative is a founding partner and co-convener of the Alliance with Women’s Voices for the Earth, with an active network of nonprofits, scientific researchers, academics, and advocates spanning the reproductive justice, environmental justice, public health, Asian American, workers’ rights movements and allies in government agencies. We connect local and state-based efforts to participate in the national movement for workers rights, health and safety, policy and regulatory reform, and reducing occupational exposure to hazardous chemicals in salons. In November 2014, the Alliance organized its third annual Healthy Salons Week of Action in Washington DC, hosting a delegation of 25 advocates, salon workers and allies to advocate for increased salon worker health, safety and rights with regulatory agencies, government officials, Congressional staffers and funders.
Highlights of the 2014 Week of Action include:
- Federal Interagency Working Group (IWG) Meeting on Healthy Salons: In conjunction with the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (WHIAAPI), the Alliance hosted an IWG meeting to urge federal agencies (EPA, OSHA, FDA, SBA, and NIOSH) to take actions, make investments and develop programs to advance salon worker health, safety and rights.
- Educational Funder Briefing: The Alliance partnered with the National Domestic Workers Alliance and the WHIAAPI to host an educational funder briefing focused on the opportunities and challenges facing beauty salon and domestic workers. The event was attended by over 60 individuals and was cosponsored by: Grantmakers in Health, Rachel’s Network, Groundswell Fund, Women Donors Network, Health and Environment Funder’s Network, Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment, Asian American/Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy, White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, and the Ford Foundation.
- Congressional Hill Visits: Advocates conducted 14 hill visits to advocate for the federal Safe Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Act of 2013 (H. 1385), which would give the FDA authority to ensure that personal care products are free of harmful ingredients and that ingredients are fully disclosed.
- Alliance Advisory Board Convening: We hosted an advisory board meeting followed by a networking dinner.
- Report Release: Women’s Voices for the Earth released a new report “Beauty and Its Beast: Unmasking the Impacts of Toxic Chemicals on Salon Workers”. The report provides an overview of the chemicals found in salon products and their impact on worker health and safety.
For more information about the Alliance, contact: Jamie McConnell National Coordinator National Healthy Nail and Beauty Salon Alliance email@example.com phone: 406.543.3747